(j3.2006) when does an error condition occur in executing EXECUTE_COMMAND_LINE

Bill Long longb
Fri Jan 16 16:26:25 EST 2009

Michael Ingrassia wrote:
> I think the current draft guarantees that a command is executed when
> EXECUTE_COMMAND_LINE is called.

The first line of OPEN says "An OPEN statement initiates or modifies the
connection between an external file and a specified unit."  Are you
saying that if an OPEN statement is executed that the standard
guarantees that the indicated action occurs, even if an error condition
also occurs? Or it the user's program exceeds the "size and complexity"
of program supported by the processor?  And if it doesn't then the
processor is not conforming?
> I think that if EXECUTE_COMMAND_LINE is called with a single argument
> and the command isn't executed, then the processor does not conform to the
> draft standard.
>
> I think that if a vendor actually detects that a command wasn't executed,
> and actually returns a non-zero code that indicates that, then
> the processor still does not conform to the draft.  Because the draft
> says that the command will be executed.

I think that by this logic all processors are not conforming for
programs that contain OPEN statements that could fail.  I'm not seeing
why EXECUTE_COMMAND_LINE and OPEN are all that different.