(j3.2006) when does an error condition occur in executing EXECUTE_COMMAND_LINE

Dan Nagle dannagle
Fri Jan 16 15:14:24 EST 2009

Hello,

On Jan 16, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Michael Ingrassia wrote:

>> My inclination is to intentionally
>> not specify what errors can or cannot be detected.
>
> Ok, but we can and should add value to the standard by making it
> possible
> for as many errors as possible to be error conditions, right?

I don't see why we should or how doing so would add value
to the standard.  We don't for I/O, and for many of the same reasons.
The universe of possibilities is just too large to go exploring.

What is a command?  In Fortran, it's a processor-dependent s-d-c.
What sort of command errors can occur?  I don't know,
and without being processor-specific, neither do you.

Do commands even return error codes?  If so, what do they mean?
This is not only PD, it's command-specific.  Shall we write
a specific entry for "Input garbled near line 1" ?

What is there to standardize?

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle