(j3.2006) when does an error condition occur in executing EXECUTE_COMMAND_LINE

Bill Long longb
Fri Jan 16 14:25:13 EST 2009

Michael Ingrassia wrote:
>> My inclination is to intentionally
>> not specify what errors can or cannot be detected.
>>

> Ok, but we can and should add value to the standard by making it possible
> for as many errors as possible to be error conditions, right?
>
> The distinction is that once an error occurs, all bets are off and the
> program can do anything; but the standard can prescribe what happens
> for error conditions (e.g., you lose the guarantee that something actually
> got allocated but if you set the STAT variable then execution does not
> terminate, etc.)
>
> Say you call EXECUTE_COMMAND_LINE and the command doesn't execute.
> The standard says it does, so you're in error territory and nothing else
> about your program execution is guaranteed by the standard.   But if
> command not executing is an error condition, maybe CMDSTAT or EXITSTAT
> could be set and the program and processor could still be standard-conforming.
>
> I thought that's what we wanted, and if so I still think
> some of the language in the standard is not quite right.
>
> The standard shouldn't say "a command will be executed" -- that makes it an
> error if a command isn't executed whereas some OS's can do better (can detect
> some errors).
>
> The standard should say "unless an error condition occurs, a command will
> be executed" -- that permits (but does not require) an error condition to
> be detected if a command isn't executed.

I think that is what is implied.  In many places in the standard, we say
'statement X does Y' when we really mean it does Y assuming no error
occurs.  For example, see the first line of the OPEN statement
description at 09-007[208:9].  Similar for the other I/O statements.
Even the description of simple assignment assumes you don't hit a segfault.

> And we could also say "which errors, if any, are detected is processor
> dependent".

This seems OK.  It makes the point that the standard does not have a
list of the errors and error code values somewhere, so the user would
not bother looking.