(j3.2006) Namelist output

Lawrie Schonfelder j.l.schonfelder
Tue Jan 13 14:18:18 EST 2009

  Are you
> saying that for
>
> type t
>    real x
>    real y
> end type
>
> type(t) :: z
>
> if the namelist object is z then it is legal in an input data record to
> have
>
>   ... z%x = 1.0,  z%y = 2.0 ...
>
> instead of z followed by two real constants?  I don't see where that is
> allowed in the standard.
I can see no reason why it should be forbidden. I have very little brief for NAMELIST as such but I
would have thought that one of its benefits was that it allowed a piece of an object to be changed
without having to reinput the whole. Z%x seems to me to be a perfectly obvious thing one might want
to change leaving Z%y unchanged, which is how I though NAMELIST was supposed to work.