(j3.2006) Namelist output

Bill Long longb
Tue Jan 13 12:04:28 EST 2009

John Reid wrote:
> Bill Long wrote:
>
>> John Reid wrote:
>>
>>> J3,
>>>
>>> It has been pointed out to me that the standard is not clear on
>>> acceptable forms of namelist output for a structure and that compilers
>>> are inconsistent as to whether they provide the name and a list of
>>> values of the components or a list of component designators, each
>>> followed by a value. My correspondent strongly prefers the latter.
>>>
>>> In 10.10.2 of F2003, we have: "The form of the output produced is the
>>> same as that required for input, except for the forms of real,
>>> character, and logical values.". This suggests that using component
>>> designators is OK, but 10.10.2.2 says "The name of each namelist group
>>> object list item is placed in the output record followed by an equals
>>> and a list of values of the namelist group object list item.".
>>>

>> This last sentence does not seem ambiguous to me.  A namelist group
>> object is a well defined syntax term (R564, page 109 of 09-007).
>>

> Agreed. If this was intended, the sentence at the start of 10.10.2 is wrong.

That sentence says that the output looks like valid input.  Are you
saying that for

type t
   real x
   real y
end type

type(t) :: z

if the namelist object is z then it is legal in an input data record to
have

  ... z%x = 1.0,  z%y = 2.0 ...

instead of z followed by two real constants?  I don't see where that is
allowed in the standard.