(j3.2006) J3/09-187 Results of the J3 interp letter ballot #18

Jim Xia jimxia
Wed Apr 15 09:53:30 EDT 2009

j3-bounces at j3-fortran.org wrote on 04/14/2009 09:57:11 PM:

> [image removed]
>
> Re: (j3.2006) J3/09-187 Results of the J3 interp letter ballot #18
>
> Malcolm Cohen
>

> I understand your disappointment that interp and/or the committee don't
> agree with you on a number of technical issues, but that is not a
> procedural issue.

I wouldn't be much disappointed by the fact that /interp don't agree with
me on technical issues -- everyone does have a different viewpoint on the
same issue.  And that is also the reason to have meetings to get them
settled.  I was really disappointed about lack of reasoning when a vote
was rejected.  I didn't attend Feb. meeting and many of the interps appear
new to me, or at least not with much details if I still remember them (I
don't even recall we've discussed processor-dependent issue on
EXTENDS_TYPE_OF during last Nov. meeting).  So I would like to understand
the key points in resolving any of the interps, e.g. a vendor rejection of
definition of return values of EXTENDS_TYPE_OF at the situation described
in F03/0125 is sufficient to convince me to accept the vote result.

Sure, we would all *like* to have unanimous agreement
> on interp questions and other technical matters, and if we can reach
> agreement as to how to proceed on each question I for one am all in
> favour.  But sometimes that just does not happen.  It is not always
> reasonable to hold something up indefinitely waiting for agreement.

Again, I don't have any problem with taking the vote results, but I do
have problems with vote rejection without explanation.  They're of
different things.

> Perhaps the above counts as "an offer of an explanation"?

Thanks Malcolm, that does solve some the questions I'm having with these
letter ballot results.

Anyway, I
> don't feel that accepting the results of a vote normally requires any
> great detail of explanation.

I disagree.

Cheers,

Jim Xia

XL Fortran Compiler Test
IBM Toronto Lab at 8200 Warden Ave, Markham, On, L6G 1C7
Phone (905) 413-3444  Tie-line 313-3444
email: jimxia at ca.ibm.com
D2/YF7/8200 /MKM