(j3.2006) kind conversion for intent(in), value dummy arguments

Bill Long longb
Tue Sep 16 15:25:55 EDT 2008

Lionel, Steve wrote:

> Intel Fortran, as an extension, does implicit KIND conversions for
> constant actual arguments in the presence of an explicit, non-generic
> interface.

A convenience for users, since kind specifiers for literal constants are
a bit clunky.

> It does not do type conversions (integer to real, etc.). I
> don't think we considered doing this for any kind of VALUE argument, but
> I agree it seems worthwhile.  I agree with Van that it should be a
> general property of VALUE.

I also agree that, if we do it at all,  this should be tied to VALUE,
not Interop.

> I would NOT like to see this in terms of
> assignment, defined or intrinsic, but rather in terms of implicit type
> conversion as is defined for expressions.  (Again, I think this should
> be for kind differences only.)

And only for intrinsic types.

> I'm less comfortable with how this would play with generic resolution.

Indeed, it is unclear how many worms are in this can.