(j3.2006) EXTENDS_TYPE_OF and SAME_TYPE_AS

Malcolm Cohen malcolm
Tue Sep 9 04:12:06 EDT 2008

Aleksandar Donev wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 September 2008 11:14, Jim Xia wrote:
>
>> it'll also make unlimited polymorphic entities eligible for these two
>> intrinsics.
>>
> They already are, this is just a clarification. If we meant "declared type" it
> would have said that.

More to the point, in context "declared type" does not make sense, as
following paragraphs mention unlimited polymorphics (so we know they are
allowed already).

(If there is no clarifying context, just "type" has to mean both
declared and dynamic types ... though in nearly all of the cases these
are the same anyway.  But here we have context which clarifies the matter.)

Anyway, it certainly doesn't look like interp material, but I agree
could be a worthwhile editorial improvement for F2008.