(j3.2006) J3 Fortran interp letter ballot #17 - due 25-Jul-2008

Malcolm Cohen malcolm
Mon Jun 23 21:04:23 EDT 2008

At 06:08 08/06/24, Van Snyder wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 10:53 -0500, Bill Long wrote:
> >
> > Van Snyder wrote:
> > > The following Fortran interpretations are being balloted:
> > >

> > > -C-  ---  F03/0076  Scope of Fortran names of procedures with binding
> > >                      labels
> > >
> > >                      The answer should include a remark that the
> > >                      outcome of this interpretation is reversed in
> > >                      Fortran 2008 as a new feature.

Never mind whether this will turn out to be true or not, I think it
is inappropriate at this juncture.  The question is being asked of
the current standard.  We don't have a new standard otherwise we
would be answering the question from the viewpoint of the new
standard not the old one.  In fact we do not even have an approved
Committee Draft yet, let alone a Final Comittee Draft, let alone a
Draft International Standard.

It's always possible for interpretation answers to be "changed" in
future standards, and they not infrequently are.

These musings on what we might have in the future are interesting
notes certainly, but in my opinion they do not belong in a Defect Report.

Cheers.

--
....................Malcolm Cohen (malcolm at nag-j.co.jp)