(j3.2006) derived types with type parameters are different

Robert Corbett Robert.Corbett
Wed Jul 30 19:46:09 EDT 2008

Aleksandar Donev wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 July 2008 02:45, Lawrie Schonfelder wrote:
>
>>This too was rejected and the current
>>expression equivalence rule invented.
>
> What rule is this?
>
>>It was claimed that this form of
>>equivalence was already a feature of determining the characteristics of a
>>procedure interface, so it was no big deal.
>
> Can someone please explain this---I must have missed this in the standard.

He means the statement

     If a type parameter of an object or bound of an array
     is not an initialization expression, the exact dependence
     on entities in the expression is a characteristic

That appears in Section 12.2.1.1 of the Fortran 2003 standard.
As I stated in an earlier e-mail, that statement is a restriction
on what a standard-conforming program can do.  It is not
something that must be checked by the processor.  Furthermore,
the characteristics of a procedure are not static properties,
while type equivalence, at least until Fortran 2003, has been.

Bob Corbett