(j3.2006) collect emeritus info

Brian/Carolyn Smith carbess
Mon Feb 25 06:49:22 EST 2008

I am not sure who is supposed to qualify for this title and my memory of
when I joined X3J3 is
poor.  Whenever it was, I was the SIGNUM representative from 1977-1978
or so (I believe it
was the same meeting that at which Kurt joined) and  as the second
meeting after the January meeting
in Texas (Austin, I believe) when there was a severe ice storm.  I
continuously attend until the
year I moved to the University of New Mexico to chair the computer
science department in January 1989
and then travel funds became very difficult for me, but I hung on with
various people being my
alternates until 1999 or so after which funding by the university to
attend the meetings became
impossible and I could no longer participate in any way.  As SIGNUM
representative, I was asked
to work on the numeric features, particularly the environmental inquiry
and kind precision, and range
proposal, following the initial work of Rex Page on this topic.  I was a
subgroup head for a while
and then worked on the array group and what became the data group.  I
also was responsible for
the initial draft of the expressions chapter for Fortran 90;

I hope this is helpful -- as I indicated, I have no idea whether I
qualify for this title and have no preconveived
notion/feeling that I should be.  I just am most honored to have
participated in a process that has
produced a very useful language for scientific computing and have
supported it for that purpose in
my research and academic career, despite the attitude of my computer
science colleagues and fellow faculty members.