(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3818) [ukfortran] Ballot on the technical content of the TR

Jim Xia jimxia
Thu Dec 11 09:42:43 EST 2008

j3-bounces at j3-fortran.org wrote on 12/10/2008 04:48:47 PM:

> [image removed]
>
> (j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3816) [ukfortran] Ballot on the technical contentof
the TR

> Aleksandar Donev
>
> to:
>
> sc22wg5
>

> A few vendors also does not have type information, which is also
> required to be carried around by BIND(C) routines in the TR. Think
> of "TYPE(*), DIMENSION(:)" and how that would be passed.

This is also one of the things I don't like of this TR: to have TYPE(*)
mixed with descriptors.  It breaks the TKR matching rule in Fortran for no
good reason.

                                      But of course, I prefer if
> compilers put type/rank info into the descriptor, based on the
> actual---much safer and easier to use.

Many vendors do have type and rank info in the descriptor.  But again
descriptors are sort of "compiler internal structures" that meant to be
used by compilers only, not for regular users to play with.  Once you
allow users to lay their hands on them, they're no longer safe (from
compiler point of view).  I wouldn't imagine the normal users have
sufficient information as how compiler uses the descriptors internally,
and I don't think they should know either.

> hardly think anything I say will make a difference---people usually
> have a pre-determined mind about this, just like those oldies that
> say "don't use assumed-shape arrays" have made their mind and will
> never change it...

I agree here.

Cheers,

Jim Xia

RL Fortran Compiler Test
IBM Toronto Lab at 8200 Warden Ave, Markham, On, L6G 1C7
Phone (905) 413-3444  Tie-line 313-3444
email: jimxia at ca.ibm.com
D2/YF7/8200 /MKM