(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3798) [ukfortran] Ballot on the technical content of the TR

N.M. Maclaren nmm1
Tue Dec 9 13:53:25 EST 2008

On Dec 9 2008, Bill Long wrote:

>The TR proposal to ISO is N1667.

Thank you.  I saw that a while back, and it doesn't help.  If we ignore the
boilerplate, it says:

    C interoperability in the Fortran Standard provides a mechanism to share
    data between  Fortran and C.  However, it is still necessary for users
    to implement a translation layer for procedures that have data pointer,
    allocatable, assumed-shape array, or optional dummy arguments. This work
    item will provide additional mechanisms that allow C functions to
    directly handle such Fortran dummy arguments.

That says WHAT it intends to do, but not WHY those facilities are not needed
but not (say) the ability to interoperate with derived types containing
allocatable components.  It is still completely unclear what requirement
you are trying to address.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679