(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3786) [ukfortran] Ballot on the technical content of the TR

Bill Long longb
Tue Dec 9 12:12:13 EST 2008

N.M. Maclaren wrote:
> The vast bulk of N1761 doesn't help even existing MPI, let alone help MPI to
> provide a real Fortran 2003 interface.  It is pretty clear that MPI will
> continue to say (more-or-less explicitly, as has been done on its mailing
> list) "Don't use assumed-shape arrays, because they aren't portable - stick
> to explicit-size ones."  I.e. don't use Fortran 90 - stick to Fortran 77!

And how is that relevant to the TR?  There seems to be continued
confusion on this issue, so I'll repeat it one more time (and hopefully
only once more):  The vast bulk of the TR has nothing to do with MPI and
was never intended to have anything to do with MPI. The original mandate
for the TR, passed by WG5, is not about MPI.

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com