(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3761) Ballot on the technical content of the TR

Bill Long longb
Mon Dec 8 13:19:19 EST 2008

Aleksandar Donev wrote:
> On Sunday 07 December 2008 18:46, Jim Xia wrote:
>

>>  Furthermore allowing
>> updates on Fortran descriptors from C programs will likely cause
>> safety issues and also be problematic in consistency check by some
>> vendors.  This becomes a sure way to introduce bugs difficult to
>> diagnose.
>>
> I do not understand this. You don't want a descriptor TR at all or not?
> You want something that is "safe"---can you propose such a design
> please? I find it impossible to imagine how C can pass things to
> Fortran by descriptor without being allowed to modify the descriptor???
> Perhaps you have something else in mind, but the above does not make
> sense.

I would add that, intentionally,  the only way provided to change the
Fortran descriptor is through functions supplied by the vendor.   It is
allowed, even expected, that the vendor will include error checks in
these functions to prevent the creation of an invalid Fortran descriptor.

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com