(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3757) Ballot on the technical content of the TR

Craig Rasmussen crasmussen
Mon Dec 8 10:26:07 EST 2008

On Dec 7, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Jim Xia wrote:

> 2.) Fortran descriptors
> Although Fortran descriptors are used when passing assumed-shape
> arrays, pointer
> arrays and allocatable arrays by many vendors, they are however not
> universally used
> by all vendors.  Based on a survey earlier this year (by Craig
> Rasmussen at J3 m183),
> some vendors haven't adopted descriptors for assumed shape arrays,
> pointer arrays
> or allocatable arrays.  The requirement in the C-interop TR may pose
> implementation
> difficulties for those vendors.  Furthermore allowing updates on
> Fortran descriptors from
> C programs will likely cause safety issues and also be problematic
> in consistency
> check by some vendors.  This becomes a sure way to introduce bugs
> difficult to diagnose.

I'm not sure what I said about descriptors at J3 m183 but I certainly
didn't intend to give the impression that some vendors don't implement
Fortran descriptors.  In fact, EVERY vendor I have been able to test
does.  Some vendors don't include the rank as part of the descriptor,
though most do.  Perhaps this is what Jim is referring to.

Regards,
Craig