(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3741) [ukfortran] Ballot on the technical content of the TR

Bill Long longb
Thu Dec 4 15:35:07 EST 2008

Aleksandar Donev wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 December 2008 04:19, N.M. Maclaren wrote:
>

>> Unless I have completely misunderstood what it is proposing, N1761 does
>> not provide the C with enough information to handle arrays of derived
>> types, let alone derived types containing ALLOCATABLE arrays or data
>> type conversion.
>>
> Please specify exactly what "enough information" encompasses? Types
> containing ALLOCATABLE arrays (or pointers, or any other thing that is
> actually a descriptor inside the object) cannot be interoperable, and
> are not covered by N1761 by design decision. As to data conversion, that
> is beyond the Fortran standard.

It also outside the scope of this part of the TR.  Interoperability of
interfaces with assumed-shape, allocatable, or pointer dummy arguments
has nothing to do with MPI - none of the MPI library routines has formal
parameters of this sort.

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com