(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3722) [ukfortran] the interoperability TR - an alternative descriptor design

N.M. Maclaren nmm1
Wed Dec 3 17:50:32 EST 2008

On Dec 3 2008, Aleksandar Donev wrote:

>> If the objective is to handle
>> solely assumed-shape, allocatable and pointer types of intrinsic element
>> or target types
>
> You mean "interoperable types" (intrinsic or derived)---this is what
> N1761 is meant to address?

No, I meant what I said.  N1761 addresses solely the cases where the
arguments are arrays of intrinsic element types, or pointers to intrinsic
types.  It may be intended to address more, but I do not think that it
does.

And my proposal doesn't handle derived types properly, either, but that can
be solved in the same way that IBM PL/I on the System/370 did.  Anyway, that
will probably have to wait until late January.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679