(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3703) Atomic stuff

Van Snyder Van.Snyder
Wed Dec 3 16:04:20 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 22:27 -0800, Aleksandar Donev wrote:
> The other two ideas, while possibly technically useful, have nothing
> to do with ATOMIC. Until Fortran proper has accessors/updaters their
> use for atomic operations is out of the question.

Aside from the obvious benefits of accessors for software engineering in
general, this is the sort of thing that comes up from time to time.  If
accessors had been added into Fortran 90, there would be little question
whether to use them for this purpose, or for accessing complex
components.  I don't think this is the last time something "intrinsic"
will arise, for which accessors are the best answer.  Taking each one
individually, and attacking it by its own ad-hoc method does have the
advantage of "preserving the beloved Fortran tacked-on look."  I forgot
to whom I should attribute that quote, I think from during the time of
the development of Fortran 77.  Walt?

--
Van Snyder                    |  What fraction of Americans believe
Van.Snyder at jpl.nasa.gov       |  Wrestling is real and NASA is fake?