(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3713) Comment on N1761

Aleksandar Donev donev1
Wed Dec 3 13:23:58 EST 2008

On Wednesday 03 December 2008 05:21, Reinhold Bader wrote:

> It is not accepted by NAG's compiler, and also not by IBM xlf. NAG's error
> message is
>
> Error: label_interf.f90: Duplicate binding label 'Foo' for external
> procedure FOO_2 and external procedure FOO_1
>
> which references the rules given in clause 16.1.
Some time ago I filed an interp request for this. The rules in 16 indeed make
the example non-conforming, but I expected that this makes zero sense and was
thus unintended and should be fixed. The official interp response was that it
was intended.

On Wednesday 03 December 2008 08:29, Bill Long wrote:
> However, in the case of a separate binding label, that rule is being
> changed in Fortran 2008 to be the way you want it. If there is a
> separate binding label then the procedure's name becomes a local name,
> not external.
Can someone please point me to the history (paper numbers) of this. I have
missed it, even though I supposedly argued for it at length and thought I
lost the fight. I am delighted to hear it is being changed but need to read
up to understand exactly what changed.

I would urge compilers to implement the change ASAP (if they already implement
Interop), especially since it essentially eliminates a needless restriction
that is rather hurteful to programmers.

Thanks,
Aleks

--
Aleksandar Donev, Ph.D.
Lawrence Postdoctoral Fellow @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
E-mail: donev1 at llnl.gov
Phone: (925) 424-6816  Fax: (925) 423-0785
Address: P.O.Box 808, L-367, Livermore, CA 94551-9900
Web: http://cherrypit.princeton.edu/donev