(j3.2006) Integration of co-arrays with the intrinsic shift functions

Bill Long longb
Tue Jul 17 19:11:36 EDT 2007

Craig Rasmussen wrote:

> To start off, I'll define a couple of terms and then present one
> possible global view of a co-array declaration.  The definitions have
> been borrowed from the very thorough paper, "An Approach to Data
> Distributions in Chapel" by Diaconescu and Zima.

Chapel's domain concept could be a basis for enhancements to Fortran in
the future.  However, I'd like to see some practical experience first.
HPF jumped into this area and hung itself with a bad design.  Domains
would layer on top of our current arrays and co-arrays.  Nothing is lost
by moving ahead with the current co-array design and then integrating a
coherent domain feature in the future.  There is certainly not time to
start this (very large) feature for f08.

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com