(j3.2006) Liaison to IFIP WG 2.5

David Muxworthy d.muxworthy
Wed Aug 22 05:30:41 EDT 2007

On 21 Aug 2007, at 20:32, Bill Long wrote:

> Co-arrays are aimed at parallel computing, and in
> Fortran's niche in the market place that is the typical application.

Maybe from Cray's viewpoint.  This reminds me of the view put forward
in the 1970s that, since Fortran was a scientific/engineering
language, there was no need to be able to manipulate characters.  In
truth, the ways of programmers are many and varied and beyond any one
person's knowledge.  FWIW the most recent production program I wrote
was to read a file of tens of thousands of records, sort and analyse
them and pick out the most interesting for further analysis.
Parallelism was irrelevant, but the other cores could have been
working on other tasks at the same time.

I support Lawrie's viewpoint of half an hour ago - vendors and users
for whom parallelism is irrelevant should not be forced to accommodate
it, whatever the hardware they are using.

Cheers,
David