(j3-members.2006) (j3.2006) teams paper

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Fri Feb 1 21:33:20 MST 2013

On 2/1/13 10:17 PM, Van Snyder wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 18:01 -0600, Bill Long wrote:
>> The paper submit process seems to be broken for the moment.  I've put
>> the file 13-teams.txt in the HPC folder on the server.   When the server
>> is more cooperative I'll submit is as a m200 paper.  In the mean time,
>> feel free to download a copy.
>
> Does ERROR STOP still stop the entire program, or only the current team?

The whole program. I already have a note to myself that ERROR STOP and
STOP need clarification.

> If an image executes a STOP statement, do other images in the team
> consider it to have failed?

No. Basically, the distinction between a failed and stopped image is
that data on a stopped image are still accessible from other images,
whereas data on a failed image are not.

That said, there are still issues with STOP.  In particular, if one of
the images of team A executes a STOP statement, and the other images of
team A continue to the END TEAM statement, you will have a "hung"
barrier at the END TEAM statement with the current wording. The images
of team B that are executing the same CHANGE TEAM block will also hang.
   I think that making the END TEAM barrier apply only to non-stopped
and non-failed images will be sufficient, but the consequences of that
rule need to be examined.